Christ the Redeemer - inv. 432
The Redeemer, blessing, lost the banner he held in his left hand. He is wearing a long cloth whose edge falls to the ground over the pedestal. On his bare chest is visibile the wound on the ribs. This is the biggest bronze sculpture in the Poldi Pezzoli, a really magnificent work as for the casting quality and the refined anatomical rendering. It was originally set in the Saviour Chapel of the Venetian Church of Santa Maria della Carità built in about 1493-1494. The attribution of this work is still debated but stylistic elements as the draperies and the rendering of the face and hair hint at the Lombardo’s workshop, especially the bronze sculptures by Antonio Lombardo (Venice 1458-1516).