Goblet - inv. 1378
The bowl of the goblet is hemispherical and rests on a knopped stem. Three crested wings of blue glass were applied to the stem (they were fashioned with pincers and known as "morise"). The whole goblet is richly decorated with flower motifs and birds, cut in the glass with a diamond point, a technique already used in Roman times and the Middle Ages. It was introduced to Murano in 1549 by Vincenzo d’Angelo del Gallo. Along the edge runs the inscription W AL: SIGe ZUANNE VIOLIN. The dedication and the refinement of the execution make this a rare and important piece.