Lorenzo Bartolini - inv. 1117
This sculpture was commissioned to Lorenzo Bartolini by Rosa Trivulzio Poldi Pezzoli, Gian Giacomo's mother. Some years before, in 1828, the sculptor had produced a beautiful bust portrait of her, also included in the museum's collection. After she was widowed in 1833, Rosa asked Bartolini for a domestic and consoling statue which would express her resorting to faith following her tragic loss. Bartolini embodied these sentiments in a young female nude, seated with clasped hands and a devoted demeanor. Thanks to the exquisite working of the marble as well as the ethical and religious value of the subject, the work enjoyed a great deal of success and it was highly praised by critics. Before it was consigned to the client, the statue was exhibited in Florence, Parma and, in 1837, at the Brera Academy of Fine Arts in Milan.