Parure - inv. 795 - 796 - 797
The parure, consisting of a necklace, a brooch and pair of earrings, is a representative example of the production of archaeological jewellery much in vogue in the nineteenth century. It belonged to Rosina Trivulzio, Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli’s mother, and was probably acquired between 1820 and 1825. For stylistic reasons these jewels have been attributed to Fortunato Pio Castellani (1794-1865), a Roman goldsmith, scholar and collector of ancient jewellery. Rams’ heads, fluted amphoras and drops of Hellenistic inspiration alternate with modern cameos based on ancient models. Noteworthy features are the central cameo of the necklace with the head of Athena Parthenos, that of the clasp with the figures of Cupid and Psyche and a very fine head of Medusa on the brooch. Also extremely refined is the technique of the knots along the gold thread which unites all these elements.