Luigi Bisi - inv. 264
<p><a target="_blank" href="/userfiles/0264.pdf">Consulta la scheda scientifica</a></p>
Datable to the 1880s, the painting was made after Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli’s death.
Luigi Bisi came from a family of painters, originally from Genoa which moved to Milan by the early 1800s. Luigi, in particular, dedicated himself to perspective painting – architectural views and monumental interiors – for which he enjoyed great success. From 1851 until his death he held the chair of perspective at the Brera Academy. Furthermore, he was the cousin of the wife of Giuseppe Bertini, Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli’s trusted consultant, artist and from 1881 the first director of the Museum.
Most probably, after Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli’s death, his presumed natural daughter, Camilla Gabba Cavezzali, wanted a reminder of one of the most intimate rooms in his house and commissioned it from the painter most acclaimed in representing interiors.
The canvas offers a valuable evidence about how the room was furnished before war damage of 1943. The great wooden bed, now lost, by the cabinet-maker Ripamonti, dominates the space. Alongside are works still in the room today: the prie-dieu, the Dead Christ and the Portrait of Rosa Poldi Pezzoli Trivulzio by Giuseppe Molteni, and the Portrait of Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli by Giuseppe Bertini.