Cross - inv. 1444
This cross is one of the finest surviving examples of sacred jewellery from twelfth-century Limoges. Of the original decoration, which once covered both sides, only five plaques of the principal side remain. They are decorated with polychrome enamels on gold leaf incised with a pattern of volutes, branches and leaves. The enamel decoration, executed in the champlevé techinique, depict Christ crucified in the middle; above, an angel; below, Adam emerging from the grave with the arms outstretched towards the Saviour and Saint Peter with the keys. At the sides of Christ are the Virgin and Saint John the Evangelist.
This iconography constitues a true technological compendium, which evokes original sin (Adam), the Incarnation (The Vergin), the Passion of Christ and the founding of the Church (Saint Peter).