The passion of an art collector
Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli (1822-1879) devoted his whole life to decorate his apartment in the family palace and to collect art works. Among the paintings, from the 14th to the 18th century, he gathered masterpieces by Pollaiolo, Botticelli, Giovanni Bellini, Mantegna, Piero della Francesca, Tiepolo and Guardi. Besides the paintings, he collected about 3000 items: wonderful jewellery, Murano glass, porcelain, arms and armours as well as tapestries and carpets, furniture and archaeology.
The increase of the collections
From the 1950s many objects have been donated to the museum the mechanical clocks by Bruno Falck, the sundials by Piero Portaluppi, lace and embroidery by a group of Milanese ladies, many marvellous italian paintings (including a Raphael) by Margherita Visconti Venosta. Recently, 19th century paintings and drawings by Riccardo Lampugnani, 18th century Venetian porcelain by Giuliano Fratti, and over 400 Netsuke by Giacinto Ubaldo Lanfranchi. Many precious object have been donated by the Association of Friends of the Museum and by private Milanese collectors.