Giacomo Guardi - 3501a, b, c

Giacomo Guardi (1764-1835)

Imaginary Landscape with Pond and Tower; The Fondamenta Nuove; The Rio of Sant’Alvise and the Island of San Secondo
1800-1810
  
10,6 x 17,2 cm; 10,5 x 17,3 cm; 10,6 x 17,2 cm
1973 donation Margherita Visconti Venosta
Inv. 3501a 3501b 3501c

Visconti Venosta Room
Go to:

      

 The first painting shows an imaginary landscape with a circular tower in front of a small pond. In the foreground we can see a figure painted like a small dot and a man on horseback going quietly on his way.
 
The second tempera portrays the most western stretch of the Fondamenta Nuove in Venice, with the Sacca della Misericordia and the body of the Casino degli Spiriti, which stretches over the lagoon. The scene is animated by small figures lightly hinted at by short touches of the brush and by a gondola and other sailing boats. The sheet on the back bears the signature and the words: "Veduta delle Fondamenta Nuove di faccia Campalto / P(er) recapito all’Ospedaletto in calle del Peruchier al N. 5245 dimandar / Giacomo de Guardi."

The third tempera depicts the far end of Rio di Sant’Alvise towards the lagoon and the island of San Secondo with the church’s bell tower and the convent, no longer visible today. A number of boats are moored and a gondola is progressing down the canal. On the back there is the signature and the words: "Veduta delle Chiovere a S. Alvise / P(er) recapito all’Ospedaletto in calle del Peruchier al N. 5245 dimandar / Giacomo de Guardi."

Giacomo Guardi devoted himself to landscapes and to views of Venice, like his father Francesco, from whom he often drew inspiration. But, differently from his father’s views, in the drawings and few paintings attributable to Giacomo Venice looks like a provincial city. Even the inscription on the back of two of them with his address shows to what extent works like this had become commercial in the first decade of the 19th century.
M.G.