Lombard painter 16th century - inv. 1641
The Nativity has been set in a building enriched with classical columns, in the presence of oxen, a donkey and two winged putti; the shepherds can be seen through an opening in the back wall.
Critical debate has placed this work in the Lodi area, between Martino and Albertino Piazza, and so towards the hand of a modest painter after Caravaggio, Cristoforo Ferrari de’ Giuchis, whose production shows similarities. The work also includes Leonardesque touches in the Virgin’s drapery (deriving from the Virgin of the Rocks) and in the composition, widespread in Lombardy.