Antonio Marinoni - inv. 4578
The painting shows Saint Jerome absorbed in reading, with a lion. Originally, it certainly belonged to a polyptych and was one of the right side panels.
Generally assigned to the Lombard school, the work has recently been attributed on stylistic grounds to the workshop of the Marinoni, painters from Desenzano al Serio, a village in the Bergamo area of the Valle Seriana Inferiore, who were active for four generations.
The saint is attired as a cardinal, the raised hem of the cloak reveals the folds of his garments. The light does not give the figure a sculptural quality; instead, the saint appears to be cut out and glued onto the gold background.
Although the painting is still linked to the fifteenth-century tradition of gold-ground polyptychs, it can be dated to the third decade of the sixteenth century. Stylistically it shows the influence of Venetian models from Bartolomeo Vivarini’s workshop and Lombard painting, especially that by Vincenzo Foppa. The date would suggest an attribution to Antonio Marinoni, already an autonomous master by 1494, who had numerous commissions in that period.