The house of the art collector

The Palace and the Garden

The 17th century palace was bought by Giuseppe Pezzoli, ancestor of Gian Giacomo, at the end of the 18th century. The architect Simone Cantoni (1736-1818) rearrenged it in the Neoclassical style with an English-style interior garden. In 1850-1853 Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli commissioned the architect Giuseppe Balzaretto the refurbishment his apartment.  

The Apartment

In 1846, Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli started the creation within the family palace of his own apartment.
After few years, Gian Giacomo entrusted the project to two  of the most appreciated interior designers of the time, namely Luigi Scrosati (1815 - 1869) and Giuseppe Bertini (1825 - 1898).
The first floor of the apartment was turned into a series of rooms, each one inspired to a style of the past. The staircase and the bedroom were in Baroque style; the Black Room was inspired to the Early Renaissance, and the Dante Study resembled the 14th century style.
The revival of past styles and artistic techniques was the most recent trend in interior design. Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli's apartment was therefore highly appreciated.

The photos below (1881-1883) show the house after Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli's death.  
 

Armoury1849-1850 (project by Filippo Peroni and Giuseppe Balzaretto)

Bedroom 1851 (project and furniture carving by Giuseppe Ripamonti)
 

Dante Study 1853-1856 (project by Giuseppe Bertini and Luigi Scrosati)

Black Room  1855-1857 (project by Giuseppe Bertini, Luigi Scrosati and Giuseppe Speluzzi)

Stucco Room 1855 (project by Giuseppe Bertini, Luigi Scrosati and Giuseppe Speluzzi)

Antique Staircase1859 (project by Giuseppe Bertini and Giuseppe Speluzzi)

Golden Room 1878-1881 (project by Giuseppe Bertini)